On Aug 18, 2006, at 5:49 PM, Hal Fulton wrote:

> Basically I want to talk securely to a machine that that knows ssh
> while spending as little time as possible porting my old code that
> uses ftp and telnet libs. (And spending as few neurons in the process
> as I can.)

I converted all the Ruby Quiz software from FTP to SFTP about six
months ago.  It's really very close to the same thing.  I couldn't
have spent more than two hours with the learning time and converting
all three of my worker scripts.  Here's the general pattern:

require "net/sftp"

Net::SFTP.start("url", "username", "password") do |server|
   begin
     server.put_file("local_path", "server_path")

     # possibly...
     server.setstat("server_path", :permissions => 0644)

     # ...
   rescue
     puts "Something went wrong:  #{$!}"

__END__