Francis Cianfrocca wrote:

> You still haven't given a clear statement of the exact problem you're
> trying to solve.

Probably not. That's because there are probably multiple problems
I have in mind.

Basically I want to talk securely to a machine that that knows ssh
while spending as little time as possible porting my old code that
uses ftp and telnet libs. (And spending as few neurons in the process
as I can.)

If you want more concrete examples: I have a habit of keeping multiple
copies of certain files on different servers. I have a tool that is
smart enough to sync them as needed each time I edit (no matter which
one I edited last). It works when the machines' clocks are off, and
even when they are in different timezones.

Another app I have is to to do some remote config on a server -- run
a command line app on the client, and it manipulates the server via
telnet and ftp.

But it's not secure. And my host now is getting hard to access via
ftp, and impossible via telnet.

Any clearer?

Hal