On Aug 18, 2006, at 9:43 AM, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
> Yes, that's a contrived example, but as far as I'm concerned, if
> end of
> line terminates a "statement", then continuation of a line should
> require an *explicit* continuation designator, such as "\".

But then you open up the reverse problem with an example like

if (very long condition that hangs off the end of the page)
    || (another condition)

Raising a syntax error that you have to go back and add a \ to.  I
don't know if you can say for sure which is the lesser of two evils.
Requiring ;'s to terminate statements or requiring \'s to continue
them.  So ruby just avoids them both by having really flexible syntax.

As for my opinion/idea on the topic, what about adding some lint
checking when you use ruby -c ?  That way a regular app wouldn't
incur the memory, but you could still get the job done without
requiring an external lint program.  Obviously someone would have to
write this, and it's not gonna be me.  Just trying to get ideas
circulating.

-Mat