On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 02:10:48 -0400, Firstname Surname
<rubyforum / wendlink.com> wrote:

> I'm new to Ruby and RoR; I was messing around with it today and had
> trouble with error codes. Specifically, the ruby syntax checker
> 1.8.4; is the
> ruby syntax checker just really primitive?
> This isn't very user friendly, especially for a newbie, is there a more
> precise syntax checker that can actually point closer to the error line
> # a
> high % of the time?

I get messages like this occasionally. I've found that a good editor is
the most helpful thing in finding these errors. I use TextMate on my Mac.
If I get an error like you metioned, I just give it the command to
reindent everything, then look for the "funny indent". You can also do the
same in Emacs with ruby-mode. I'm sure jEdit, Eclipse and dozens of other
editors have similar features. Auto-indenting of lines as you enter them
is helpful too. (Use ^J instead of [return] in Emacs)

Learning a new language and framework can be frustrating at times, but I
encourage you not to be too hasty in giving up and moving on.

Regards,
   JJ