I'm new to Ruby and RoR; I was messing around with it today and had
trouble with error codes. Specifically, the ruby syntax checker
frequently spits out 'syntax error' with the last line of the code as
the error line (the error is nowhere near the last line).  This happens
with missing chars, extra ., all sorts of minor syntax errors, not just
missing 'end's. I found myself copy and pasting functions, checking,
then pasting again to find the error, which is pretty ridiculous.

This is something I'd expect in a pre 1.0 compiler, but ruby is at
1.8.4; is the
ruby syntax checker just really primitive?
This isn't very user friendly, especially for a newbie, is there a more
precise syntax checker that can actually point closer to the error line
# a
high % of the time?

Cheers,
Newb