John Lam wrote:
 > Regarding Google: I spent some time talking to Alex Martelli of
Google
> at OSCON and asked him about Ruby at Google. His bottom line was that
> Python does the job, it does it rather well and they have no interest
> in adding a fourth language to their three--language codebase (Java,
> C++, Python). However, I've heard rumors that the Google satellite
> office in Seattle has some Ruby stuff happening, largely due to the
> efforts of Steve Yegge.
> The bottom line is that *dynamic languages* are a key strategic area
> for Microsoft's developer platform. They placed their initial bet on
> Python and that's working out rather well as IronPython is rapidly

No big surprise about GOOG and MSFT. If I had to guess where Ruby will
make a mark (apart from Rails' stable niche in low-end CRUD websites),
it would be in enterprise integration projects. I think a lot of people
who are trying to do that stuff in Java now will be pleasantly surprised
by Ruby.

That makes Oracle the dark-horse candidate for Ruby's champion. And
*maybe* IBM's Tivoli business unit.