> Ugly?  Right?  Hackish?  A better way?  Looking for the Ruby
> perspective here because this is probably one of my more unsolved
> delimmas -- how to view, approach and implement cases like this.
>
> Thanks!
> /usr/ceo

If you're going to put the include statement in the file itself you
might as well add these methods to the Kernel module (where puts is),
but you should be really careful with this if you expect others to use
your code.

Some examples of gems that add methods to Kernel:
Facets can add a lot
(http://facets.rubyforge.org/api/core/classes/Kernel.html) , but lets
you include every method separately.
HighLine has everything in modules, but has an extra file that adds
some of these methods to Kernel
(http://highline.rubyforge.org/doc/classes/Kernel.html)