On Aug 17, 2006, at 5:05 PM, John Lam wrote:
> I'll eventually do the experiments myself, but I wanted to check with
> y'all to see if someone had already done some investigations. It would
> be an interesting experiment to see how much you can improve method
> dispatch performance by caching the reference to the method call
> target, and invalidating it when the call context changes.

I'm not an internals expert, but I think the difficulty in optimizing
Ruby
method dispatch is that the result of a dispatch is not determined
by the local context but instead is determined by the state of all
the module objects searched during method dispatch:
	singleton class
	class and super classes
	included modules in all of the above

Gary Wright