I'm looking to switch from perl to something more object oriented. I'm
trying to decide between ruby and python, but I'm having some issues
with some aspects of ruby. The language looks great to me, but I am
interested in how it is extended (for things like network programming,
oracle connectivity, extra fancy date manipulation, things like that).
rubyforge seems to be the central location for these things, but it
isn't entirely obvious how to get things installed properly or in a
"standard" way, and if I did manage to get them installed, it's not
obvious how to use them.

I guess I was hoping for CPAN for ruby (I'm sure that's come up a few
billion times here). Or at least some sort of page like this:

http://www.python.org/doc/faq/library/

that tells how to find out the information i'm looking for. Can anyone
help out a newbie?

Thanks!

Brian