On 8/17/06, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky <znmeb / cesmail.net> wrote:
 > Curiously enough, Java and Solaris appear to be moving the other way.
> Solaris is sort-of open source and Java will also sort-of become open
> source, though the details aren't clear yet. Firefox appears to be
> following the Linux model, and it wouldn't surprise me in the least if
> other major open source projects -- Apache, for one -- followed suit.

Part of what is happening to Java and Solaris is that Sun is flailing
as a company. There isn't really a great deal of rationale for Sun to
remain independent, but they're not an attractive acquisition target
because their book of business is primarily replacement, services and
maintenance, not growth. They are trying to find ways to stay
relevant, and perhaps getting a bigger footprint in the software world
will help them. IBM, which faces business problems of a similar nature
but very different in degree, has been helped a great deal by their
(admittedly self-serving) advocacy of selected open-source
initiatives. (Specifically those where they don't have a competitive
commercial offering.)

Ruby currently faces a totally different market dynamic (and set of
opportunities) because its community is perceived as having a
significant anti-business streak to it, as Linux did in its early
days.

SUNW and IBM shareholders: let the flames begin!