On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 06:40:31 -0700, zoat wrote:

> Java is no longer the answer to every software development problem. Ruby
> is exploding onto the scene, just as Java did at the end of 1990s.

Yes.  Do you remember the hype?  Statements like "In a few years, 95
percent of all programs will be written in Java" and "There is no reason
now for schools to teach any programming language but Java."  Before that
it was C++ (although the purple prose didn't approach Java's hysterical
level).

As it turned out, Java was just another language - good or bad, depending
on your opinion.  Now I don't know enough about Ruby yet to even form an
opinion other than it is a lot of fun at the moment, and I know even less
about Rails, but I do know that it is only one of over a hundred useable
languages and it will be several years before we know if it will be one of
the top half dozen, or just another neat language that never went
anywhere.

reqards
krf