Tobias Reif wrote:
> Do you have a feasible idea, solution, concept, or suggestion?
>
> Maybe something backwards-compatible for Ruby 1 or 2;
>
> or just a set of conventions/rules for new public methods in public
> classes and libraries.

I am not sure if this would help out here. Perhaps it'd be even worse; new
libraries would use a different convention than the standard libraries.
Then you mix both conventions in your code and mess it totally up.

> Maybe:
>
> All methods that are bang (that are working with and possibly modifying
> the original(s)) have an '!' appended to their name.

But this will not be compatible. Array#delete, #fill and all the others
must be changed to the bang version. Any change to existing method names
will break code. A  solution would be to introduce #delete! etc..
that are just an alias to #delete. But this would break IMO PoLP.

Regards,

  Michael

--
Michael Neumann