Just FYI, I still haven't finished packing things up into a separate
release, but I do have some comparative benchmarks.

One a very modest server (AMD Athlon 2600 with generic IDE drives,
extfs3, on a Linux 2.4 kernel) that does have a small load on it, with the
DiskCache, which implements overhead to maintain a linked list of files on
disk in order to support LRU semantics, it averages around 500-600 writes
per second, 700-800 updates per second, 850-950 reads per second, and 1000
deletes per second.

Removing all of the LRU overhead results in a dramatic speedup.  Writes
experience the least speedup, going to around 2000 per second, give or
take a couple hundred depending on other activity.  Updates move into the
3800-4200 range.  Reads move into the 6000-6200 range, and deleted move to
around 2000/second.

Given the hardware, I found those numbers pleasingly high.  And it clearly
demonstrates that unless one really needs the LRU capabilities in order to
limit the total number of entries to some arbitrary value, there is much
to be gained by using the basic DiskStore, and just having an external job
run periodically to flush old elements from the disk.

Kirk Haines