I'd like to get GNU Emacs set up for use with Ruby, and I'm hoping
someone here might help.

I've got emacs installed, and I found the *.el files in
.../src/ruby-1.8.4/misc, but I think the README in there assumes you
already know what to do with the files therein.

I know some of the basics of using emacs, and used the X11-based GUI
(and also M-x customize-variable) to set up the following ~/.emacs
file so far:

=============== snip ================
(custom-set-variables
  ;; custom-set-variables was added by Custom -- don't edit or cut/paste it!
 '(case-fold-search t)
 '(current-language-environment "Latin-1")
 '(default-input-method "latin-1-prefix")
 '(global-font-lock-mode t nil (font-lock))
 '(indent-tabs-mode nil)
 '(tab-width 4)
 '(transient-mark-mode t))
(custom-set-faces
  ;; custom-set-faces was added by Custom -- don't edit or cut/paste it!
 )

(color-theme-gray30)

(Note: I'm also trying to get emacs to use all spaces (no tabs) and
4-space indents, as you might be able to tell from the above ~/.emacs
file contents.)

So, how do I get emacs to recognize Ruby? Am I supposed to copy one or
more of the misc/*.el files to my ~/.emacs.d directory?

Also, are we supposed to use *both* ruby-mode and ruby-electric, or
instead, just one or the other?

Thanks,
---John