don <donsdx / gmailspambad.invalid> wrote:

>>> Farrel, thanks for the fast response.
>>>
>>> So, are you saying there is not a "go to col 23, row 19"
>>> type command in Ruby unless I install something else on my
>>> linux system?
>>
>> In general this concept of external libs is the de facto and for a good
>> reason.  For common things that can be utilized from many sources it's
>> good to put in an external libs.  In this case you have a C ncurses
>> library and a ruby wrapper that interfaces with the base library.
>>

> I wasn't commenting on the goodness or badness.  I'd just
> hoped there was a command I could use in my beginners
> program.

Curses is among the standard libraries, (loaded with require 'curses')
but since most types of programs (e.g. web programs, GUI programs,
simple scripts) don't need the functionality of "go to col 23, row
19", it doesn't make sense to put it in as a language primative.

Learn to love libraries.

--Ken

http://www.iit.edu/~kbloom1/