Conrad Schneiker wrote:

> FWIW, I find the _seeming_ semantic inconsistency (or semantic
> non-transparency if you will) to much more annoying than a few extra '!'
> chars.

Me too.

> This is the one of the few features of Ruby that I will probably
> always find annoying.

Do you have a feasible idea, solution, concept, or suggestion?

Maybe something backwards-compatible for Ruby 1 or 2;

or just a set of conventions/rules for new public methods in public
classes and libraries.

Maybe:

All methods that are bang (that are working with and possibly modifying
the original(s)) have an '!' appended to their name.
Where it makes sense, non-bang versions (that return a possibly
modifyied copy and don't touch the original) should be provided, whose
name doesn't have anthying appended.

Tobi

--
Tobias Reif