Bob Hutchison <hutch / recursive.ca> writes:

> On Aug 12, 2006, at 10:40 PM, Matt Todd wrote:
>
>> What about writing a thin C extension for interfacing with Perst?
>> Going back and forth from C to Java may be tricky, though... But,
>> then, what about any of the non-Java or -Ruby options? Just write a
>> quick C extension/wrapper for Ruby, or use SWIG to do it for you.
>>
>> M.T.
>>

> That's a good point. I don't think I want to involve Java in this if
> I can help it. The fellow who wrote Perst, Konstantin Knizhnik
> <http://www.garret.ru/~knizhnik/databases.html> has also written
> GOODS, FastDB, and GigaBASE. If I was going to write a C extension
> I'd go with one of those. Konstantin has also written something
> called DyBASE which is specifically for Dynamic languages, like Ruby
> and Python, and comes with bindings for Ruby 1.6.x. I've asked
> Konstantin about the state of DyBASE and am trying to work out if
> that is worth updating to Ruby 1.8.4

I've just discovered RScheme's PStore,
http://www.rscheme.org/rs/a/2005/persistence/

  "a system that allows objects in persistent storage (i.e., on disk)
  to be mapped into memory for direct manipulation by an application
  program. The approach is based on the concept of pointer swizzling
  at page-fault time as described in Paul Wilson's Pointer Swizzling
  at Page-Fault Time."

Now, having that in Ruby would rock very much, but I've no idea on how
to implement it.  Any couraged Ruby hacker? :-)