Jeffrey Schwab wrote:
> Trans wrote:
> > Jeffrey Schwab wrote:
> >> Not quite, but it's a great idea!  You might want to sit down for this one:
> >>
> >>      C:\>ruby -rpathname -e 'puts Pathname.getwd'
> >>      C:/
> >>
> >>      C:\>ruby -rpathname -e 'puts Pathname.getwd.parent'
> >>      C:/..
> >>
> >> Could you live with something like this, or are the regex/string
> >> manipulation/punctuation just too ugly?
> >>
> >>      file = ARGV.shift
> >>
> >>      Dir.chdir('..') until File.executable?(file) or
> >>          Dir.getwd =~ /^(?:\w:)?[\/\.]*$/
> >>
> >>      puts Dir.getwd.gsub(/\/$/, '') + '/' + file if File.executable?(file)
> >
> > Guess I don't have much of choice. Pretty sad choice though. I can't
> > beleive there's not a cleaner solution.
>
> Well, you could always write your own, more WinFriendly module, in which
> path.root? and friends worked more like one would expect.  It's more
> code up front, but it only has to be written once.

I'm not going to bother with a whole module. It's been done before.
Actually I'm suprised that Daniel Berger's work on Pathname2 hasn't
found it's way back to imporving Ruby's built in Pathname class.
Appearently he put a lot of effort into better Windows support.

Think I'll just write FileTest.root?( dir ) and make due.

T.