On Aug 12, 2006, at 10:40 PM, Matt Todd wrote:

> What about writing a thin C extension for interfacing with Perst?
> Going back and forth from C to Java may be tricky, though... But,
> then, what about any of the non-Java or -Ruby options? Just write a
> quick C extension/wrapper for Ruby, or use SWIG to do it for you.
>
> M.T.

That's a good point. I don't think I want to involve Java in this if
I can help it. The fellow who wrote Perst, Konstantin Knizhnik
<http://www.garret.ru/~knizhnik/databases.html> has also written
GOODS, FastDB, and GigaBASE. If I was going to write a C extension
I'd go with one of those. Konstantin has also written something
called DyBASE which is specifically for Dynamic languages, like Ruby
and Python, and comes with bindings for Ruby 1.6.x. I've asked
Konstantin about the state of DyBASE and am trying to work out if
that is worth updating to Ruby 1.8.4

Cheers,
Bob

----