> Can you give me a hint as to what doesn't work?  For a simple upper
> case subset of your code (using double quotes) I see

I'm implementing string parity functions using perl's String::Parity
as the base to work from.   I'm assuming that the ruby code is working
as it was designed to, but I want to find out what I need to do to
make it work like the perl example.  I just posted a shorter, easier
to test version.  The perl version outputs a string correctly set to
even parity.  The ruby code doesn't.     I've tried quotes, no quotes,
double quotes, eval, beating my head in the wall, all of that.  It's
something else I am missing.

Chris