--nextPart1278567.L00Fz5TxOp

quoth the lists:
> Try this:
>
> ruby -e "require 'rubygems'; require 'xml-simple'"
>
> You have to require rubygems first.
>
> -Ryan

Sorry to hijack here, but this is an issue that has sort of unsettled me as
have seen it come up on this list a few times. Perhaps I am not understanding
gems fully here, but what if you are writing software to be released to the
public that relies on a 3rd party library?

Some might have the lib installed from gems and some might have installed
manually or whatever ... so how do you reconcile the two if you must require
rubygems to use gem installed libs? Why is the gems directory not added to
the regular include path? Are you required to write code to deal with this?
How do experienced Ruby devs deal with this issue? Or am I just thick and it
isn't an issue at all?

any insight appreciated,

-d