--nextPart1278567.L00Fz5TxOp

quoth the lists:
> Try this:
>
> ruby -e "require 'rubygems'; require 'xml-simple'"
>
> You have to require rubygems first.
>
> -Ryan

Sorry to hijack here, but this is an issue that has sort of unsettled me as=
 I=20
have seen it come up on this list a few times. Perhaps I am not understandi=
ng=20
gems fully here, but what if you are writing software to be released to the=
=20
public that relies on a 3rd party library?

Some might have the lib installed from gems and some might have installed=20
manually or whatever ... so how do you reconcile the two if you must requir=
e=20
rubygems to use gem installed libs? Why is the gems directory not added to=
=20
the regular include path? Are you required to write code to deal with this?=
=20
How do experienced Ruby devs deal with this issue? Or am I just thick and i=
t=20
isn't an issue at all?

any insight appreciated,

=2Dd
=2D-=20
=2D Dennis Ritchie and Ken Thompson, June 1972