I've been fighting this all day, and I can't grok where I've gone wrong.
I hope someone here can help.

I'm trying to write a fairly simple script to handle some periodic SFTP
file submissions to a client's vendor. Net::SFTP seems like just the
ticket!

My code, then, has

require 'net/ssh'
require 'net/sftp'

in it, but every attempt to run gets this:

$ /usr/bin/ruby xm.rb
xm.rb:21:in `require': no such file to load -- net/ssh (LoadError)

I've tried this with the out-of-the-box ruby install (1.8.3) on my
PowerBook (Tiger); a customized install I found instructions for on the
Rails site on the grounds that the OS X ruby is "broken"; and on my
Ubuntu box. On Ubuntu, I tried with the packaged 1.8.3 as well as a
hand-compiled 1.8.4 based on a thread from earlier this month. Since I'm
having essentially the same problem on two different platforms, it's
clearly something silly I've done, but I don't know what. (Oh, and irb
fails the same way on the require lines.)

I'm new to ruby, obviously, and quite keen to get started, but I really
don't know where to go next. I don't even know how to properly
interrogate ruby about its environment (sort of a ruby equivalent of
"perl -V").

Help!

Thanks in advance...