Hi --

On Fri, 11 Aug 2006, Martin DeMello wrote:

> Same here. Also "nonce word". And I agree, it carries the wrong
> connotations for the singleton class, whereas "eigenclass" seems to me
> to be just about perfect, both in literal meaning and connotations.

My main problem with "eigenclass" is that it's in German, whereas
everything else in Ruby is in English.  I actually suggested "own
class" a long time ago.  Eigenclass is basically a German translation
of that.  I love German -- majored in it in college, even -- but
"eigenclass" just strikes me as a bit joke-like or perhaps a bit
pretentious.

I've refrained from using the term "own class" pre-emptively, though,
which in the "Darwinian" world of bringing about a fait accompli in
the area of renaming singleton classes takes it pretty much out of the
running :-)

David

   ----> SEE SPECIAL DEAL FOR RUBY/RAILS USERS GROUPS! <-----
http://dablog.rubypal.com        => D[avid ]A[. ]B[lack's][ Web]log