On Aug 9, 2006, at 11:12 PM, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:

> Bob Hutchison wrote:

>>> On Linux, at any rate, one ought to be able to make SQLite
>>> extremely fast by adding RAM and tuning the I/O subsystem and the
>>> kernel, and using tricks like memory mapped files, assuming the
>>> database in question isn't too large. I'm assuming it's small,
>>> otherwise he'd pretty much need a humongous database server and
>>> an industrial strength database like Oracle or PostgreSQL.
>>>

>> A few GB max for one set of applications, far far less for others.
> A few GB ... I'd be looking at a "real database" for that. "Pay me
> now or pay me later", as the saying goes. :)

Well, my concern comes probably comes from the same place that your
thinking of a 'real database' comes from :-) To make it worse, in a
relational DB I've got this urge to stick all that into only two
tables... makes me nervous. Anyway, in the Java world, Perst has
proven itself very capable, jaw-dropping fast, and reliable.

Cheers,
Bob

----
Bob Hutchison                  -- blogs at <http://www.recursive.ca/