John Lam wrote:
> I've got a response from the Linden folks. Each region (16 acre chunk
> of land) is managed by 1 CPU, and the limit of avatars per region is
> on the order of 50-60 (I believe the server limit in Wikipedia is
> based on their current 2CPU per server configuration).

This sounds really cool ... but I have some questions

(1) I'm not sure what people are expecting.  Are you expecting attendees
to be interacting with non-attendees during the course of the
conference.  Remember that attendees will be fighting over limited
wireless bandwidth and Obie's posting mentions "hefty bandwidth"
requirements.  Given that, I wouldn't encourage attendees to be on SL.

(2) Wouldn't a live video webcast plus a conference IRC channel give
much same experience with much lower bandwidth requirements?  Plus it
would make it easier for attendees to interact (IRC has always been very
active during the RubyConfs in the past).

As I said, the SL idea *sounds* cool, but I'm not sure what the
advantages are.

-- Jim (willing to be educated) Weirich