"vasudevram" <vasudevram / gmail.com> writes:

> Thanks :) Sounds interesting - will check it out.
> The URL
> http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/199337
> doesn't seem to be accessible. Will be Googling for any other locations

Yeah, there was a post to the list earlier today saying that
blade.nagaokaut was going to be down for several days (until the 13th,
I think).  In any case, a google groups search for "something like
this monstrosity" turns up the same post here:

http://groups.google.com/group/ruby-talk-google/browse_thread/thread/496a4af9dc4771bf/a730a3cd6014b502?lnk=st&q=&rnum=3#a730a3cd6014b502

> meanwhile, interested to know why you say that decoding
> just the solutions to quiz 84 "will give you more of a ruby education
> than you'd reasonably want"? Not disputing the opinion, just interested
> to know  ...

Quiz #84 was by a good margin the most popular ruby quiz both in terms
of number of solutions and in terms of number of participants.
Although several people just solved the problem, many others went to
extreme lengths to optimize for memory used, for speed, or for code
length.  At least one solution (Kelly Norton's) managed to do the
whole thing in one (nasty) expression.  (And then of course there was
my solution, where I was trying to de-optimize for both speed and
memory)

Unfortunately, the web archives of ruby-talk that most people point to
are temporarily down.  Fortunately, google groups has most of the
solutions captured in the thread I linked to above.