Daniel Martin wrote:
> "vasudevram" <vasudevram / gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Saw a few URLs which had some info, some of which I understood. But
> > like I said, personal viewpoints are good to have.
>
> Well, you probably ran across my old page from 2003 that does "amb" in
> ruby in a translated-straight-from-scheme way.
>
> But for a more recent look at what I can use callcc for, decode my
> "de-optimised" solution to ruby quiz number 84:
>
> http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/199337
>
> That solution uses a few of the more obscure ruby tricks, such as
> singleton classes, the coerce and to_s methods, the inject method,
> etc., in addition to using continuations in a manner that's rather
> less civilized than nice structured co-routines or enumerators.  To
> see what's going on, you might replace this line:
>
>     (0 ... n).inject(n-1){ |q,p|
>
> with
>
>     (0 ... n).inject(n-1){ |q,p| p [q,p]
>
> Actually, going through all the solutions to quiz 84 and decoding them
> all will give probably more of a ruby education than you'd reasonably
> want.  (I keep meaning to write up a full dissection of each entry - I
> really think that doing that, and arranging the entries in the proper
> order, would make for a nice ruby crash course)
>
> My recent post to the list on "probability fun in ruby" also uses
> callcc, wrapped in a more rubyish version of amb I made after seeing
> how people implemented amb in quiz #70.

Thanks :) Sounds interesting - will check it out.
The URL
http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/199337
doesn't seem to be accessible. Will be Googling for any other locations
for this quiz; meanwhile, interested to know why you say that decoding
just the solutions to quiz 84 "will give you more of a ruby education
than you'd reasonably want"? Not disputing the opinion, just interested
to know  ...

Vasudev
http://www.dancingbison.com