On 8/9/06, Bob Hutchison <hutch / recursive.ca> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking for a persistent store, where:
>   * I can use it from Ruby
>   * it is fast
>   * it is transactional
>   * it can update more than one store in a single transaction
>   * simple String -> String mappings in the store are sufficient
>   * ideally uses files in the filesystem

> Does anyone have any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> Bob

Hi Bob,

If you're the fun and adventurous type you might want to look into
Mongoose. ( http://rubyforge.org/projects/mongoose/ ) It's new, and
claims to be fast. In the past I wrote some small apps that used the
same authors other system called KirbyBase which was very nice, I
haven't tried Mongoose yet, but I'm happily awaiting a problem with
which to use it on.  Though now that I'm thinking about it I don't
know if it has built-in "transaction" support. I suppose it depends on
what you want it to do.

Have you tried SQLite and found it to be too slow? It sounds to me
like you might be prematurely optimizing. We have several medium to
medium-large sized apps that make heavy use of SQLite and speed has
been not a problem at all.

What domain are you working in that requires this kind of speed
anyway? Just curious.

Hope that helps,
-Harold