On Thursday 23 August 2001 10:01 pm, you wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Aug 2001 20:43, Erik B?gfors wrote:
>
> He is expressing his opinion, here is mine as to why I chose
> Ruby.
>
> As an aside, I have looked around the major scripting languages,
> with Python having more of a look that Perl. I have previously
> written programs in Assembler ( 3 machines ), Algol, Pascal, C,
> Perl, SQL, PHP, & Python. I have examined Smalltalk extensively
> but have not actually written anything of consequence using it.
>
> The main reasons I have chosen Ruby are because:-
> The Ruby source is free-format. Those flipping non-intuitive tabs
> and extraneous colons needed just waste my precious time.
Second!!
The first reason that I got interested in Ruby was the license that
it was forced to use (refering to the laws of a state that had
passed UCITA 2b).  This was a clear and present danger, because
nobody knows WHAT that might be interpreted to mean, and who it
might affect.  (Consider Mr. Dimitri Skylarov [sp?].)  But the
principle reason it retained my interest after the license issue
was fixed was the white-space oriented meaning dependancy in
Python.  That has bit me several time, when switching from one
editor to another.  And the only way to reconsititute the meaning,
without a complete re-analysis of the code, is to refer to a
listing printed with the previous version.... and since one big
reason for switching editors is because of the poor printing
capabilities of some of them ...

Plus I keep thinking that a chunk of program code should be either
a list or a tuple.  (Not is, should be.)  Ruby lets that happen,
though not with complete generality.  I feel that there should be
an isomorphic mapping between closures and functions, and the small
differences between them bother me.
--
 Charles Hixson

 Copy software legally, the GNU way!
 Use GNU software, and legally make and share copies of software.
 See:
    http://www.gnu.org
    http://www.redhat.com
    http://www.linux-mandrake.com