On 8/8/06, John Lam <drjflam / gmail.com> wrote:
> Since RubyConf this year has sold out so rapidly, I was wondering if
> there would be interest in setting up a mixed-reality event in Second
> Life.
>
> I think it would be really cool if we could be the first developer
> conference to be simulcast in Second Life. It would also help with the
> problem of folks who wanted to go but can't.

Sort of. I've heard about Second Life, but haven't really studied it.
According to Wikipedia, Second Life tops out on a "private island" at
100 simultaneous users in the server. That means that of the 240
attendees, only 100 could be there (if they wanted) -- and that
external people would have even more problems.

If Linden Lab is able to solve this so that we could have potentially
a *lot* of people observing from Second Life (and if it were possible,
for example, to have "live" video broadcast in that Second Life
region), then it might be really interesting.

But I'd try to chase it down at that point.

-austin
               * austin / zieglers.ca