Peter Hickman wrote:
-snip-
> It's the degree of speed up that I felt that people are overlooking,
> lets take the following:
>
> Ruby 10.060 (user + sys)
> C 3.350
> Ocaml 2.558
>
> C doesn't just shave a few percentage points off, you get a massive
> boost without having to do anything weird. C seems to be /too hard/ for
> many people, especially people who have never used it.
>
> However Ocaml is an eye opener.

Browse the Language Shootout
http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/gp4/index.php

Here's something that generates permutations of a small integer array
http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/gp4sandbox/benchmark.php?test=fannkuch&lang=all

The far-left column shows the relative slow-down compared to the
fastest program - find Ruby, find YARV, find Perl, find OCaml, find
GCC.

Look at a something with longer runtimes
http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/gp4sandbox/benchmark.php?test=nbody&lang=all