On 08.08.2006 17:26, Richard Conroy wrote:

[snip]

Agreed.

> Java has interfaces, (or 'emasculated abstract base classes' to
> quote the pickaxe book), which are strongly used in structuring
> applications across/within modular boundaries. Ruby doesn't have these
> but has something very interesting called mixins - blocks of
> implementation that can be incorporated into your classes. I would
> encourage you to use these - as they fulfill the java interface role
> of enforcing API consistency, despite being totally different.

That's something modules don't do.  There is no corresponding concept to
  Java's interface in Ruby.  Ruby is not statically typed so there is no
point in having interfaces.  Mixins are more like abstract classes that
you can inherit from (even from several of them, something that doesn't
exist in Java).

[snip]

Agreed.

Kind regards