On 8/7/06, Michael Satterwhite <michael / weblore.com> wrote:

> I then tried
>      sudo gem install mysql
>
> It asks me which version I want installed, I picked 2.7 (ruby). gem runs
> for a bit, then gives me the following error:
>
> Could not create Makefile due to some reason, probably lack of
> necessary libraries and/or headers.  Check the mkmf.log file for more
> details.  You may need configuration options.
>
> ---
> If I'm reading mkmf.log correctly, the problem is in finding
> mysqlclient.
>
> Does anyone know how to address this one? Also, are there any other gems
> that I should install to have a good, working ruby installation?

It should be complaining about one or more specific files, and these
should probably be either header (.h), or libraries (.so) files.

Once you know what file(s) you are looking for, the next trick is to
figure out which ubuntu/debian package(s) include(s) that/those files.
 Sometimes it's fairly obvious.  One hint is that if it's a header
file the package name is likely to have dev (for development).

A tool, which might be useful, is apt-file which comes in a package of
that name.  If you install that package you can issue the command:

apt-file search xxx.h

where xxx.h is the name of a file you are looking for.  It' will
search the same repositories that apt-get (and synaptic or aptitude or
...) does for files in packages without needing the packages to be
installed.

Before it works though you need to load its cache by doing the command

  apt-file update

--
Rick DeNatale

IPMS/USA Region 12 Coordinator