Thanking everyone for all the help I've been given to this point, I'm
trying to get the mysql interface for ruby installed. I first tried
using the distribution (Ubuntu breezy) apt-get to install the
libmysql-ruby. It installs, but ruby doesn't recognize it (I've done a
compile of 1.8.5 and installed that, after some help from the people
here).

I then tried
     sudo gem install mysql

It asks me which version I want installed, I picked 2.7 (ruby). gem runs
for a bit, then gives me the following error:

necessary libraries and/or headers.  Check the mkmf.log file for more
details.  You may need configuration options.

---
If I'm reading mkmf.log correctly, the problem is in finding
mysqlclient.

Does anyone know how to address this one? Also, are there any other gems
that I should install to have a good, working ruby installation?

Again, thanks for the help to this point..

---Michael