>  sudo gem install mysql
>
> Could not create Makefile due to some reason, probably lack
> of necessary libraries and/or headers. Check the mkmf.log
> file for more details. You may need configuration options.

Well, uh, what does mkmf.log tell you?... ;]

Have you installed the MySQL development packages? You can find
them with "apt-cache search mysql | grep -ie mysql.*dev".

> I'm sure this tells those of you who have been around a bit a
> lot, but I'm brand new to gems. How do I address getting the
> mysql library up. Also, are there other gems that I should
> consider installing as well.

Lesson one when installing Ruby on Ubuntu: Remove all default
Ruby packages that come with Ubuntu and compile everything
yourself.

gegroet,
Erik V. - http://www.erikveen.dds.nl/