I'm runniing Ubuntu Breezy. The distributed version of ruby is 1.8.3
which is incompatible with the current rails. As a result, I'm trying to
get things up outside of apt. I have ruby installed - compiled to
install to /usr/bin. I'm trying to get rubygems installed, but still not
making it there.

When I run (as root) ruby setup.rb, from the rubygems-0.9.0 directory,
it terminates with

   hook /software/rubygems-0.9.0/./post-install.rb failed:
   uninitialized constant Gem::Builder::Package

This is further than I've been getting, but still not there. I want to
thank those of you for the help you've given so far, and need to ask for
some more. Any ideas on how to correct this?

tia
---Michael