On Saturday 05 August 2006 9:23 pm, Dave Thomas wrote:
> > It's probably "just too much work". nd I don't know of a CSS
> > solution that does really high-quality typesetting. With XSL-FO,
> > that's different, but even less people know this.)
>
> Yeah, but pure FO just doesn't hack the book stuff (and indexing is a
> serious, serious hack... :)
>
> One day it'll happen, and we'll try our best to be there.

I'll strongly disagree with this. Pure FO is more than ready to handle
complex technical books. If you'd like to see what it's capable of,
pick up a copy of Unicode Explained
(http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/unicode) or the forthcoming PHP
Cookbook 2e (http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/phpckbk2) or Rails Cookbook
(http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/railsckbk/) [the paper, _not_ the Rough
Cut version], all of which were/will be produced from XSL-FO and look
quite good.

For those interested in (a lot) more, see:
http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/index.html.

PS: CSS, on the other hand, is not ready for high-quality typesetting,
as the others have said.

HTH,
Keith