Erik Veenstra wrote:

> RubyGems is the de facto way to distribute Ruby
> packages/addons/extensions/libraries/whatever. Even RubyGems is
> distribute as a gem. The first problem for you to solve is
> bootstrapping this loop. The process of installing RubyGems by
> hand is explained in [1].
>
> Once that is done, you can use "gem search mysql -r" to find
> the gem you want and use "gem install mysql" to install this
> stone.
>
> Life easy, when you know how where to start...

...and I'll admit to being new enough that I have *NO IDEA* where to
start. <g>

I went to the site you referenced and downloaded rubygems 0.9.0. I
untarred it, went to the directory and (as root) ran ruby setup.rb -
which is what the site said to do. It ran a bit, then gave me the
following error:

   /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:27:in
`gem_original_require': no such file to load -- zlib (LoadError)

I did see the note about installing libzlib, but when I tell apt to do
so, it says that it is installed and at the latest version. Obviously
something is still missing.

All help *GREATLY* appreciated.
---Michael