I'm running Ubuntu Breezy. Because of some problems with the version of
Rails distributed with it, I've compiled ruby 1.8.4 and installed it -
and have removed the version from the distribution.

I'm now getting the error

   require': no such file to load -- rubygems (LoadError)

This tells me that there are other things I need to install, too.
Definitely this one, and probably some others that I'm not aware of
(yet). Keeping in mind that I'm an old hand at computing (35 years) and
very new to ruby; what seems obvious to you might never dawn on me.

Would some of you guru's be so kind as to help me (a) fix the above
problem and (b) point out some of the other things I need to install -
like mysql gateways, etc. Pointing me at where to get them would be
greatly appreciated, too.

Thanks in advance
---Michael