Charles Hoffman wrote:
> That stuff doesn't bother me, it seems normal for users, enthusiasts,
> and people interested in one programming language to talk about other
> programming languages.
Especially the denizens of the main Ruby mailing list, which includes
the founder of the language. We are people who use or want to use Ruby,
and we want it to have what it needs from other languages. Matz did a
pretty good job of that all by himself. :)

> Programmers these days usually have to use
> multiple languages in their work anyway,
Well ... my personal opinion is that more than two languages is probably
overload. You need one general purpose language and whatever
domain-specific language fits what you're doing. More than that and you
start losing time context switching and spending time looking up things
like "how do I parse a date/time string to a date/time object in Ruby
when I know how to do it in R?" :)

> I've also noticed that Rubyists seem have a high tendency (at least
> higher than Javaists and others, I think) to be programming-language
> geeks, the kind of folks who like to learn about the general concepts of
> programming languages, learn lots of different ones, and compare them.

That may be because of Ruby's youth relative to other general-purpose
languages. I remember the same phenomenon when Java was a young
language. I'm personally a language geek and have been since ... well,
let's just say that the first code I wrote in my life was for a machine
built from vacuum tubes that had only an assembler. :)