On Aug 5, 2006, at 3:51 PM, John Gabriele wrote:

> Dave, I just grabbed a sample pdf (exerpt) chapter from your site and
> had a look.
>
> 1. Whoa! The source code snippets are colorized! The graphics
> (including the occasional screenshot) are in color too! And on Ubuntu
> using Evince, the text is much more readable and clear than I'd
> expected (I'd previously been using xpdf). I will definitely
> reconsider buying your pdf versions.

Thanks. That was another consideration when it came to using Bookman
as the body font.

> 2. The sans-serif font that you use interspersed with the Bookman to
> indicate filenames, urls, variable names, symbols, chapter outlines,
> etc. ("Avante Garde" maybe?) seems like a weird choice. It seems artsy
> for artsy's-sake, and not particularly readable. Last time I saw it in
> print was in the earlier editions of some Core Java books from Sun.

Heh--you're right--good eye. It is Avant Guard.  I don't love it, but
it turned out to work nicely in body text-a monospaced font is way to
wide, but the Avant Guard somehow gives the impression of being
monospaced(-ish), I think because it's fairly light. However, if you
have suggestions for a replacement I'd seriously love to hear them.

Thanks again

Dave