>* method definition outside a class (which would normally be class Object)
    >* no function calls (only method calls)

These features aren't so bad; the implicitly global Perl-like
variables ($! and such) I think are much worse.

    >* self is required rather than assumed

Whoa!  I strongly disagree with this.  One of the big things
I hate about Python is having to preface everything with self
this and self that.

Above all else, Ruby should be a *convenient* language.  As
object-oriented as possible, but not at the sake of convenience.

    >Or is this idea not useful...?  Or is this idea better for a ruby-lint program?

No, I think its a good idea -- some sort of "strict" mode
to catch (and punish :-) procedural thinking.

/\ndy

--
Andrew Hunt, The Pragmatic Programmers, LLC.
Innovative Object-Oriented Software Development