Dave Thomas wrote:

> On Aug 4, 2006, at 3:56 PM, John Gabriele wrote:
>
>> No, it's not just you. The font is too wide. Your eyes have to zoom
>> uncomfortably fast back and forth across the page to read sentences at
>> your normal speed (i.e. not enough words per line). Maybe it's done to
>> make the book have more pages, dunno.
>

> Actually, we'd love the books to be fewer pages. However, we did a fair
> amount of research on fonts, and we worked with readers early on to see
> what fonts worked for them. The Bookman we use turned out to give people
> the sense of being approachable while still being readable. Everyone is
> different of course, and I understand what you're saying about the
> width. At the same time, I get a fair number of e-mails from folks
> saying they love the layouts.
>
> Every now and then I experiment with changing the fonts around (we
> recently changed the code font in all our books to make it narrower) and
> I'm still open to suggestions. But approachability is still important to
> me, and I wouldn't want to go with anything harsh.
>
> Regards
>

> Dave

37signals produce a book called "Getting Real" for download, watermarked
per purchaser. They have made better margins on the book than they would
have through a 'normal' publisher.

CSS can be used to format pretty much anything (within reason) in a
'custom' manner.

What would stop an author from writing a book, publishing it online with
watermarks and a EULA (or equivalent) holding purchasers responsible for
the watermarked editions of the book, and then selecting a format for
the book (font size, style, etc.) that could be used to generate a CSS
file through which the book would be printed to .pdf (for example) and
downloaded by the purchaser?

Is there a reason an author would not use such a system, were it
available? Is the retail channel so powerful, it makes such a scheme
unworkable to content creators?

There are 'civilian' versions of such, but I was thinking of 'real'
books designed for a mass audience.