On Aug 4, 2006, at 3:56 PM, John Gabriele wrote:

> No, it's not just you. The font is too wide. Your eyes have to zoom
> uncomfortably fast back and forth across the page to read sentences at
> your normal speed (i.e. not enough words per line). Maybe it's done to
> make the book have more pages, dunno.

Actually, we'd love the books to be fewer pages. However, we did a
fair amount of research on fonts, and we worked with readers early on
to see what fonts worked for them. The Bookman we use turned out to
give people the sense of being approachable while still being
readable. Everyone is different of course, and I understand what
you're saying about the width. At the same time, I get a fair number
of e-mails from folks saying they love the layouts.

Every now and then I experiment with changing the fonts around (we
recently changed the code font in all our books to make it narrower)
and I'm still open to suggestions. But approachability is still
important to me, and I wouldn't want to go with anything harsh.

Regards

Dave