On Aug 5, 2006, at 7:40, William James wrote:

> James Edward Gray, Jr., wrote:
>> On Aug 4, 2006, at 8:20 AM, Mike Harris wrote:
>>
>>> It would be nice if you could assume two spaces after a end of
>>> sentence with puncuation.  Generally I think that's correct
>>> grammar, although my grammar stinks so I could easily be wrong.  If
>>> you have to get into parsing incorrect grammar it becomes much more
>>> difficult.
>>
>> Actually, that's an old typographical convention that we can't seem
>> to shake.
>
> What sort of perversion would make anyone want to shake
> an old convention that is useful?

I would consider it a vast personal favour if we didn't have to re-
hash this never-ending argument in the quiz thread.  A quick poke
around Google should familiarise anyone who's interested with the
basic propositions for and against using two spaces at the end of a
sentence, wikipedia makes a decent start.

matthew smillie.