Selon Matthew Smillie <M.B.Smillie / sms.ed.ac.uk>:

> On Aug 4, 2006, at 14:20, Mike Harris wrote:
>
> > Ruby Quiz wrote:

[...]
> > It would be nice if you could assume two spaces after a end of
> > sentence with puncuation.  Generally I think that's correct
> > grammar, although my grammar stinks so I could easily be wrong.  If
> > you have to get into parsing incorrect grammar it becomes much more
> > difficult.
>
> It's not correct grammar, just a typographical convention; one which
> is sort of semi-obsolete and regularly gives rise to great debate in
> typographical circles over its perceived rightness, wrongness, and
> pragmatic value.
>
> That isn't to say you shouldn't use it, since it'll be very accurate
> in the general case, but redefining the problem to say "anything that
> doesn't use two spaces is wrong" is a bit of a dodge.

I have to add that I never ever read anything about this kind of rule ! And I am
100% sure that this rule does not exist for french typography. I suspect that
every country will have different spacing schemes according to the punctuation,
and if you intend to correct english written by foreigner (and a lot of it is)
or, even better, if you want your program to work with any latin-written
language, you'd better not rely on anything like that ! (I know that I make
loads of english typography errors because I naturally follow the french
rules... unless I make special effort)

This message was sent using IMP: http://horde.org/imp/