Sean Middleditch <elanthis / users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
: On 25 Aug 2001 05:52:34 +0900, Todd Gillespie wrote:
:> Have you hung out around perl-porters and talked with the Parrot people?

: Last I saw Parrot was an April Fool's joke....

I figured as much.

Parrot was the title of a new language in an April Fool's joke.  A few
months ago perl-porters started working on the Perl6 runtime, and ESR
talked the Python people into working with them to build a common
runtime.  In reference to the joke they called it Parrot, but the project
is very real.

There is consideration to add Ruby to Parrot.  A big thread about this
blew through here quite recently.  Check the archives.

: Ugly language.  Not what I'm looking for.  My language is intended
: mostly for games, which are usually "Scripted" by players who are not
: experienced programmers.  Heck, the first large "program" I ever wrote
: was in Hexen's Action Script language.  granted, I knew some BASIC and a
: smidgeon of C at the time...

: Still, TCL isn't what I'm looking for.  ^,^

I really can't follow your flow of argument through that paragraph.
Tcl was designed for use by non-programmers scripting together larger
elements.  It sounds exactly like what you are looking for.  What bothers
you about it?  Prefix notation?

I dislike Tcl for a few reasons, but it is very simple for beginners, and
as I said, it is the easiest to embed languages out there.  The
documentation for embedding Tcl in any conceivable environment is
extensive to say the least.  The runtime is extremely simple, the
message-passing is transparent, memory usage is small.

Do you have any specific complaints/problems?