On 8/4/06, Jim Morris <ml / e4net.com> wrote:

> Mike Douglas wrote:
> > On 8/2/06, Dark Ambient <sambient / gmail.com> wrote:
> >> I think it would be a nice option if they offered this book as a PDF.
> >> Safari at $20 a month just for one book is not a good pitch.
> >
> > Those who bought the book through Safari's Rough Cuts program get a
> > PDF of the book. I checked a few days ago and they still had it listed
> > as "rough cuts", so you might see be able to buy it.
> >

> No its not available anymore as a rough cut, and I agree this book would be much more useful as a
> PDF than a paper book IMHO. (Especially those of us with dual monitors!)
>
> I'll wait for a PDF book from another publisher I think, as O'Reilly seems to not like the PDF
> format, maybe they should look at how well the pragmatic programmers are doing ;)

I just ordered my copy of the dead-tree version.

Although a pdf might be nice for searching, since the cookbook is
categorized I don't think it will be much of an issue. Also, I don't
usually see pdf's with syntax highlighted code snippets, so I wouldn't
get any benefit there from the printed version. (Note to publishers:
you might sway me if the various source code listings in your digital
versions were color syntax highlighted!)

Also, since it's a cookbook, I'm guessing the snippets aren't too
long, so I don't really mind retyping the ones I need.

Besides, I prefer the quality typesetting of a real book to reading on
my flat panel.

The only (literal) pain in the neck is lugging that thing around with
all my other "essential" books. :)

---John