2006/8/4, Helge Elvik <helge.elvik / gispartner.no>:
> I've looked for things like that, but it doesn't seem like they've been
> exposed in the Ruby API. If I try to make a DBI prepared statement, it
> will just slurp-read the first time I call execute on it. The native
> PostgreSQL-extension doesn't seem to have any classes for cursors or
> prepared statements, and neither does the pure Ruby version.

Hm, I wonder why would you need special API for that?
PGconn.exec should be sufficient:

require 'postgres'
c = PGconn.new
c.exec("BEGIN")
c.exec("DECLARE my_curs CURSOR FOR SELECT * FROM generate_series(1,20000)")
while (rs  =  c.exec("FETCH FORWARD 1000 FROM my_curs"))  && rs.num_tuples > 0
    rs.each { |r| print r[0], "," }
    rs.close
end
c.exec("CLOSE my_curs")
c.exec("COMMIT")

> Does anyone know if ActiveRecord might be a solution? Does it have it's
> own implementation of a PostgreSQL connector?

ActiveRecord just uses ruby-postgres or postgres-pr libs