You can have multiple versions installed simultaneously (or even
multiple copies of the same version) -- they just need to be installed
in separate directories. Of course, only one at a time can have its
"bin" directory on the system path, so this is the one that gets used
by default.

Extensions (including all RubyGems) are stored within the Ruby
directory tree, so they need to be installed separately for each
instance of Ruby.